Wednesday, January 15, 2014

Out and About Wuhan



Wednesday January 15

Today is the first time I actually felt like I was in China, as opposed to some random large city.  The past few days I’ve been driven through much of Wuhan on the way to appointments and everything I see is quite modern (or under construction).  I hadn’t caught a glimpse of temples, ancient buildings or other images that one typically associates with China.  We’re also staying at a Best Western hotel, so even the food on the breakfast buffet has an American slant.  About half the food is an attempt at western cuisine, which includes baked beans for breakfast.  I’ve been disappointed in the Chinese selection as well, though have typically found a couple of things that I liked.

Since there was no adoption related business today, I was essentially on my own.  There are 4 other adoptive families at this hotel.  While they are with different agencies, I’ve met them at the government offices and at breakfast.  Teagen immediately recognized one of the boys as their foster families lived close together and they sometimes played together.  I was hoping that I would be able to tag along on some sight seeing today.  Most of them, however, were planning to visit the orphanage.  Since Teagen had been in foster care for 4 years, I decided not to request an orphanage visit. 

After breakfast, Teagen and I headed out to explore.  The hotel had a small map which indicated a couple of potential sightseeing spots right on Wulou Road, the large street our hotel is located on.  I figured if I never had to turn off this road there was little chance of getting lost.  We first went to Chang Chun temple, which was quite a large complex consisting of courtyards and small buildings with altars. No photos were allowed inside, which was disappointing as it was beautiful.  There were many people praying, making offerings, and lighting incense.



Teagen and I kept walking with our goal of Yellow Crane Tower.  I had seen a sign soon after leaving our hotel that it was 2 km away.  For most of the walk there was a separate path on the side of the road for pedestrians and bikes.  Fortunately there were also few streets we had to cross, which is a pretty scary thing here.  When crossing the street I typically try to stay near a local; I also learned in Vietnam that it is better to just keep moving as the cars are watching for you.  I questioned this method yesterday when a Chinese lady a bit in front of me was hit by a car—and she was carrying a baby!  It was apparently a “gentle tap” as she just gave the driver a mean look and kept walking. No one else around me looked too concerned!

Eventually Teagen and I came to a large park area with trees and paths.  This is unusual in the crowded city, so despite no signs I guessed that I was at Yellow Crane.  It was a nice path to walk on and eventually went quite high above the city.  There was a yellow temple and some other monuments, but I’m still not totally sure we made it to our destination.  Despite this, I knew that Teagen was getting tired of walking so we headed back. 
 
Teagen was a bit more subdued today.  She seemed nervous when I would let go of her hand to take a picture, and was even more hesitant if I tried to step back to get her in a shot.  I don’t think she is used to having her picture taken, as even in the hotel room she’ll become quite serious and solemn when the camera comes out.  She’ll sometimes make a V with her fingers.  I have seen many photos of children waiting for adoption using this pose, but I’m not sure what it means.  It always looked kind of like a peace sign to me.

After Teagen’s nap we’ll likely just do a short walk around here, even though it is all modern stores.  It is good just to get out of the hotel room.  We are in Wuhan until Friday as we wait for Teagen’s passport.

No comments:

Post a Comment